As the leaves turn to vibrant hues of orange and the air becomes crisp, Boulder comes alive with the spirit of Halloween. With its rich cultural heritage and love for the outdoors, our town offers a unique blend of spooky and fun activities for Halloween enthusiasts of all ages. Here's a list of must-do Halloween activities in the Boulder area:
1. Haunted Houses and Attractions There are a variety of spine-tingling haunted houses and attractions for those seeking a good scare. From dark mazes to horrifying characters, these places are perfect for thrill-seekers. Some notable options include the "Terror in the Corn" at Anderson Farms and the "Haunted Field of Screams." Also, don't miss Boulder High's haunted house put on by their thespian group that might be the scariest of them all!
2. Trick-or-Treating on Pearl Street Mall The Pearl Street Mall is Boulder's iconic pedestrian-friendly street that's known for its unique shops, street performers, and vibrant atmosphere. On Halloween, it transforms into a family-friendly trick-or-treat extravaganza called the "Munchkin Masquerade". Local businesses often participate in handing out candies to children in costumes, creating a lively and festive environment. Also, for adults looking to do a fun activity the Saturday before, don't miss the Pearl Street "Halloween Bar Crawl."
3. Explore a Pumpkin Patch Picking the perfect pumpkin is a cherished tradition during Halloween. Boulder's numerous pumpkin patches offer a delightful experience for families. In addition to pumpkin picking, you can enjoy hayrides, corn mazes, and even petting zoos at some of these locations.
4. Costumes Galore Finding the right costume is an essential part of Halloween, and Boulder has you covered. Visit local costume shops and thrift stores to find or create your ideal ensemble. Whether you're going for spooky, funny, or creative, you'll find everything you need. The Ritz on Walnut is a must visit if you are looking for a costume here in town.
5. Halloween Movie Nights Keep an eye out for special Halloween movie screenings at local theaters. You can catch classic horror films, family-friendly favorites, and even outdoor screenings in some of Boulder's scenic parks.
6. Ghost Tours and Haunted History Boulder is steeped in history, and its haunted past comes to life through ghost tours and spooky tales. Join one of the many tours that delve into the city's haunted history and urban legends. It's a great way to mix history with a touch of the supernatural. Check out the Columbia Cemetery or the Hotel Boulderado for the Ghost Tours. Also, the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park is known to have many ghosts and orbs to be seen on their tour.
7. Fall Hikes and Outdoor Adventures Boulder's picturesque surroundings are perfect for outdoor enthusiasts. Enjoy the cool autumn weather by going for a hike or bike ride in the beautiful Boulder County Open Space areas. The changing leaves and scenic trails create a magical autumn atmosphere.
8. Local Halloween Festivals Check for Halloween-themed festivals or events happening in the area. These often feature food vendors, live music, costume contests, and a variety of activities for all ages.
9. Creative Arts and Crafts Boulder's local libraries and community centers may host Halloween-themed crafting sessions and activities for children. It's an excellent way to get the whole family involved in the Halloween spirit.
Halloween is not just about costumes and candy; it's a time for the community to come together and celebrate the season in a unique and memorable way. Whether you're seeking spine-tingling scares or family-friendly fun, Boulder has something for everyone.